Why blog?

It's therapeutic... specially for dorks like me who communicate better when they have the chance to process their thoughts, select their words, and write precisely what they want to say. As much as I'm a "talker", I stumble, stutter, and don't always say things right. English as a second language might have something to do with that (unfortunately, I don't think I could blog in Spanish... I lost my grammar in that language). I like to pour out my thoughts and leave it out there in the cosmos (or the world wide web) for other people to mull over...

Friday, November 27, 2009

Some photos...

You know, it's incredible how addicted you can get to something like Facebook and then your account gets closed... it's like... being disconnected - quite unnerving!

I am about to enjoy some delicious hot cocoa after playing in the snow. But before we get to that, I have to say I had a really nice Thanksgiving. I missed being away from home. I usually eat w/ my in-laws, and the next day at with my uncle. And it's a big family thing - which I was used to for holidays in Venezuela. I think that's what holidays with my in-laws reminded me of; lots of uncles, cousins, aunties, and good food.

Well we had that here! It wasn't our own, but we got to borrow a set of grandparent's for the kids (the pastors) for Thanksgiving Dinner. Each kid had one honorary cousin to match - down to the babies. Then for me there were sisters and brothers and brothers-in-law to talk to and laugh with. And we shared our blessings while we were experiencing a blessing in the making: The wonders of a family in Christ!

It is wonderful to not feel so lonely when you are experiencing a total climate shift from what you have ever been through in your life, and you are 6000 miles away from anything that's familiar! I was a beach baby! Caribbean-coast, snorkling and fishing, dolphin-swimming, not afraid of sharks kid! I look out the window, and I love the scenery, but I've never been more out of my element in my life! And yet, this is my NEW element. I think I'm adapting well, but I would've been miserable had I not been adopted by the local church to the degree that I have been.

The kids are adjusting more than well. They love it! Anakin and Brielle were playing in the snow... so were all of us at different given times, but the kids were pros. Brielle was more interested in eating the snow than throwing it at us, but she got us good a few times. She also couldn't make up her mind whether to eat the snow or contribute to the snowman we were building in the back yard.

And to think I may have completely missed this. I may have been too afraid to tell Paul, "Yes, wherever you go, I'll follow!" and have come to Anchorage, Alaska from Miami, Florida. Even further south from Miami to be precise. I would've never known anything other than the heat, humidity, and hurricanes. And Miami is a beautiful place... Although I'm more into natural scenery, I would say the beaches on either coast of South Florida are amazing. But I thank God for allowing me, in my lifetime, to also experience mountains, and snow... frozen lakes, frosted trees, and beautiful sunsets at 4pm.

1 comment:

  1. Aww.. well we miss you down here but I am so glad to hear that you're adapting to Alaska. It really looks beautiful and it brings joy to my heart knowing that you have a family in Christ up there.

    :)

    ReplyDelete